5 Things I Wish I Had Known About University | Reem

by - 5:00 AM



Hello everyone! miss you so much, honestly. I feel like I always say this but I constantly feel like it's been ages since I last wrote a chatty post in here. As you may or may not know I am a pharmacy student and I've updated you guys on instagram saying that I'm on a mid-year break right now (which is basically just two weeks BTW .-.).
Throughout the semester I've learnt SOO many things and I figured I would share them with other struggling college students or just people who are considering it <3


At the beginning of the semester I was so lost. I didn't understand anything to be honest. I didn't know who to go to when I needed help. I had no idea what was going on even though I never skipped a lecture and I've been present since day one. Add to this the fact that I'm scatter-brained. My brain just thinks about so many things at the same time and it's really hard for me to memorise names, places etc. So at first, uni felt like a HUGE place for me and I felt overwhelmed. It took me forever to memorise the names of the lecturers. I'd ask people for directions to labs every single week till almost the end of the semester.
I just have to go over certain things multiple times for me to memorise them *shrugs*.
But all of this is normal. probably everyone around you, although not obvious, feels the same way so don't panic.


In high school, pretty much everything was ready and at your fingertips. All you had to do was to study. At university on the other hand, you have to do everything from attending lectures (and labs in my case), doing assignments, presenting stuff, preparing your own study material which has to be reliable and thorough otherwise you'll be surprised at tests by material that you haven't included in your study guides which wasn't even a problem I need to worry about in high school. Which brings us to the next point...


Some students sell their study guides and don't get me wrong they sometimes can be quite helpful but don't ever 100% rely on them no matter how many times they claim to be thorough because chances are, they've left something out and I even once found a fatal mistake in one and this is when things get messy. So to avoid all this, I personally think that making your own study guides, listening to lectures, recording them and studying from slides/books is the way to go and I had to learn this the hard way.

Although feeling lost at the beginning of the semester is normal, staying like this for a long time is not and is in fact really dangerous. You might fall behind and this leads to the accumulation of tons of materials that you'll have to cram later on and chances are you won't be able to finish them on time or you'll have really difficult time understanding them so try your best to grasp just anything you can even if you can't get it all right. This has been my philosophy for the past two years or so and it's never let me down.




aannd anxiety triggering. I have anxiety that is normally isn't the worst but when I'm under pressure, my anxiety gets so bad that I can't sleep ( even when I'm tired/sleepy). I've come to the conclusion that the best way to avoid stress/anxiety during uni/college is by being organised and ready. I'm the worst at this, I honestly don't get this whole time management thing but it's crucial if you want to lower anxiety due to high pressure etc. I figured that the best way to do this is to plan in advance and to study small amounts at a time. Just simply be prepared for tests and don't cram at the last minute. 


There you go. These were some of the things I wish somebody had told me about uni. Hope that helped. I'll keep you guys updated and as always,
take care <3


You May Also Like

0 comments

.